Court finalizes its ruling on Super Junior's Kangin for his drunk driving

By jubilantj   22 days ago   85,040   3,127   185

The courts have finalized their ruling on Super Junior's Kangin for his drunk driving incident back in May.

During Kangin's trial which progressed at Seoul Central District Court on September 7, he was ordered to pay a 7 million KRW (~$6,417 USD) fine.

The courts ruled that though Kangin should be severely reprimanded for his actions, they only fined him as the idol appeared to be deeply reflecting on himself and as he didn't cause harm to anyone.

SEE ALSO: [Tournament] Battle of the Best Vocalist in SM Entertainment of All Time

At the time of Kangin's DUI, his blood alcohol level was revealed to be 0.157%, a level high enough for his driver's license to be revoked.

Kangin was involved in a drunk driving hit-and-run back in October of 2009, for which he paid an 8 million KRW (~$7,334 USD) fine.

1. Kangin

Blue82 18 days ago

It seems like a light punishment to most of us who live in other countries but we also have to remember that in Korea drinking is very social and very much a part of the culture. If you work in sales or as a businessman and don't drink it can actually affect your promotions and how well you do in your job. If you look up the statistics for drinking such as how much people drink, how often, as well as how many people are cited or jailed for driving while intoxicated and you'd be shocked. When something is a huge part of your culture it's often hard to force change such as stricter laws, enforcing existing laws and punishements, ect. Yes he reflected years ago and it's horrible he did it again but part of the blame has to be on the fact that people including his company didn't insist he go to treatment. They treated it as if it was an accident that he needed to apologize for but not an actual problem (addiction) that needed to be dealt with professionally. I can only hope that he seeks treatment for his drinking this time but without support from his friends, family, and company I doubt it will happen.

trogdorthe8th Blue82 • 18 days ago

THANK YOU! I swear, I've been in a back and forth with a person on here about this. It's like people don't want to accept what's right in front of them, and would rather look at what he did instead of WHY he and many other people in Korea have done and continue to do this. People would rather just blindly hate on him, rather than admit that the drinking culture and DUIs are a big problem for MANY people over there, including people who aren't famous or well-known. He needs help, and their legislatures need to address these issues of drinking, driving, and societal pressures before something tragic happens. That's why M.A.D.D. (mothers against drunk driving) was created after a dui accident killed a bunch of children on a school bus and wounded several other people- it's known as the deadliest DUI car crash in U.S. history. After that, M.A.D.D. was created, and dui laws got a lot stricter, and continued to get stricter over the years as laws and vehicles changed. I would just hate for something really bad to happen over there before they decided to change the laws- it only takes a second for everything to change permanently in situations like that.

Blue82 trogdorthe8th • 18 days ago

My aunt is an alcoholic and she has drove drunk many times. My uncle (her brother in law) has wrecked two trucks while drunk so you would think she'd pay attention. Well just over a year ago she decided to drive drunk again and had a nasty accident (thank god no one else was involved) and she broke her back, ribs, punctured a lung, and had a concussion. She's lucky to be alive and even luckier that she can walk. There was a chance she would die and even after she was stable they didn't know if she would ever walk again. It is a serious issue and alcoholics are addicts plain and simple. Once they start drinking they don't have that part of their brain that says, 'You've had enough' nor do they think rationally. To them they sometimes don't even believe they are drunk. There is a reason that people with addictions have to stay away from not just the thing they are addicted to but everything and everyone that is involved with it. They can mean well and tell themselves they won't drink or it's just one drink but the power of addiction is scary and it will pull them in. Then they will make bad choices that could kill themselves or someone else.

trogdorthe8th Blue82 • 18 days ago

I'm so sorry you've had to go through that with your family. I hope she's taken some real time to heal and take care of herself.

Blue82 trogdorthe8th • 18 days ago

Over the past few years we had become pretty distant since we live 2 hours apart and I am not comfortable around people that need to drink as soon as they wake up. I have kids and don't want them around that. I'm glad she's getting better but I'm not sure I believe she'll stop drinking. I worry because both of my cousins (her daughters) are pregnant at the same time and due a week apart come October. I really hope she'll be a sober grandma to them and not cause them any worries.

trogdorthe8th Blue82 • 18 days ago

Sheesh, that is a lot. But you're doing what's best for you and your loved ones, and that is what's important. They don't call it tough love for nothing. You can love and care for someone, but still understand that their detrimental behavior has no place in your life. I hope she'll come around, but I've seen it happen as well, and I understand that may not be the case.

Blue82 trogdorthe8th • 18 days ago

That's pretty much how I handle anyone in my life like that. If they accept help then great but if not or don't face their addictions then they have no place in my daily life. My kids come first.

trogdorthe8th Blue82 • 18 days ago

You're leading a very good example for them, even though it's a very hard one to live by sometimes.

Chrysantheneum 19 days ago

TBH, not like this doesn't happen often in SK. Like traffic isn't safe there at all, especially after 9 with way too many people driving too hard and/or too drunk. Kangin should feel bad for his actions, but I do think that this problem needs to be adressed more in South Korea.

s1n1s 20 days ago