OP-ED

by gracelim
  • 2
  • 0
  • 383
  • 99469
  • 1300

Imagine yourself in this situation: It's the first day of classes and you walk into the lecture hall feeling all giddy and hopeful. In a class this big, there's bound to be at least one cute guy or gal to keep your eyes entertained till the end of the semester, right?

...Wrong... So wrong.

Your eyes linger halfheartedly on each sub-average face in the room until your fragile heart can take no more. Disappointment crashes over you in waves and you feel yourself getting dragged under the weight. After all the anticipation that's been building up in the weeks leading up to this day, it seems too cruel.

Defeated, you take your seat and the lecture begins. You walk into the same class a week later as indifferent as you were when you walked out a week ago. But something inexplicable has happened - sitting there is the most glorious guy (or gal, depending on your preferences) you've seen on campus. Hot damn. The things that happen once you rid yourself of any expectations.

I promise this relates back to EXO's "Growl" MV release. Bear with me.

The drama version MV for "Wolf" left me feeling immensely unsatisfied. The plot (or lack thereof) was sloppy and having to wait for the second installment after five or more weeks of waiting just got on my nerves. Once the boys released the "Growl" MV, I was hesitant because of the "Wolf" aftertaste, and so (as in the situation mentioned above), I truthfully wasn't expecting anything extraordinary. But as it so curiously turns out, I think the "Growl" MV is one of the best productions SM Entertainment has ever released. No, seriously

SEE ALSO: Revisiting some moments from EXO's 'Wolf' Drama MV

The MV uses a one-take method with a steady-cam following the boys' movements. The entire video is shot as a continuous roll of film with no edits. Prior to the release, SM had stated it'll be like watching a dance movie. It's an incredible creative gamble that actually pays off. Though there's only one backdrop, our eyes barely have the chance to glaze over.

But what really gets me is the choreography (courtesy of renown choreographer Nick Bass). In my humble opinion, it's what makes this music video so awesome. The simultaneous fluidity and power of their movements are breathtaking and they give off a subtle maturity that wasn't as easily discernible in their "Wolf" promotions. Even if you're not a fan of EXO, it's hard to disagree with the sophistication and minimalist charm of the "Growl" MV.

But I had to wonder, if the MV was phenomenal as a whole, would it be as phenomenal when watched in snippets?

Oh, yes. It was brilliant, and here are some of the movements that prove why:

The grandpa-shuffle sideways shuffle never looked so good.

"Put some more back into your twerking," said Bacon Baekhyun (twerk team captain).

"Hey girl. Whats your name?"

"Dayummm - look at the legs on that girl."

The this-is-us-on-our-way-to-steal-your-girl prance...

...and the this-is-us-after-your-girl-left-your-ass-for-me celebratory dance...

..."Booyah, gentlemen. That's how it's done."

This would be one of those intense ab exercises that make me want to curl up in a corner and die cry.

"Which of you lucky ladies needs your floor cleaned?"

This movement that's intensely reminiscent of a seizure. I like it...

...and this crotch-grab-strut... I like it very much.

Thank you, Nick Bass. 'Twas a remarkable bit to include in the choreography.

No, Tao. You are not a gorilla.

DON'T MISS

Comments

There are 383 comments

Sort by:

vipsoneelf
· Posted December 19, 2013 @ 3:54 pm

lol, i love the dance moves

justforfunsies
· Posted September 8, 2013 @ 6:14 am

BAHAHAH...I LOVE this MV!!!

safiyah_r
· Posted August 8, 2013 @ 2:12 am

<3 Love this Song

henrylaubeybi
· Posted August 8, 2013 @ 12:16 am

HAHA TAO IS DEFINITELY not a gorilla he's a PANDA ...:))))

bethf07
· Posted August 6, 2013 @ 10:31 pm

I keep coming back to this article just to see the gifs...it's hilarious

bap_babys
· Posted August 4, 2013 @ 10:45 pm

I don't know if this was a mistake or not, but when they are rapping Kai hat fell off

bap_babys
· Posted August 4, 2013 @ 10:46 pm
When they were in a circle
marshallcross
· Posted August 5, 2013 @ 5:05 pm
I noticed that too. Maybe they didn´t want to make the whole thing again (because it´s an one-take shot) because Kai managed to cover his mistake quite professionaly :-)

xHoneyx
· Posted August 4, 2013 @ 9:48 am

awesome awesome chereography!!!

leia13
· Posted August 4, 2013 @ 9:43 am

But I really just love this author.

(And EXO of course. And Growl.)

msfan
· Posted August 4, 2013 @ 7:11 am

This video gives you epilepsy.

alwaysmile9
· Posted August 4, 2013 @ 4:08 am

i can't choose . BOTH ARE AWESOME~ it's really WOW and making me speechless whenever i watch it ...again ,and again, and again . and like you said ,"it's breathtaking" :) hihi ,EXO DAAAAAEEEBBBAAAKKK!! JJANG! :DD xP

ilovekpop4ever3
· Posted August 4, 2013 @ 2:12 am

very true, growl is one of the best mv of SM ^_^

yusuke22
· Posted August 4, 2013 @ 9:03 am
i think not the best mv...but best choreo. dont get me wrong...bcoz SM still produced in box set mv
ilovekpop4ever3
· Posted August 8, 2013 @ 12:58 am
@yusuke22 yeah ~ you have a point (Y)
yusuke22
· Posted August 8, 2013 @ 10:16 am

winx_rifu
· Posted August 4, 2013 @ 1:08 am

i dnt knw hw many times i had watched this MV!! it is just too nice!! <3

bianca_shinx
· Posted August 4, 2013 @ 12:44 am

Love this so much! Ururang, ururang, ururang hey!

beashineeshawol
· Posted August 3, 2013 @ 9:44 pm

I think Growl is better than Wolf from every angle. I like the musical styling more, the choreo is awesome (Nick is a boss) and the boys execute brilliantly, and the MV was the best one that SM has had in a long time even though its in a box (whcih fans always complain about). EXO and SM hit the mark on this one. Too good.

msgrumpybelle
· Posted August 3, 2013 @ 7:55 pm

Too much perfection all in one take! I seriously, can't get over it!

nightengale
· Posted August 3, 2013 @ 7:07 pm

The songs are so different, they're hard to compare. I like the lyrics of Growl more than Wolf. However, I prefer the vocals and the music in Wolf. And I admit that's part of why I voted for Wolf. The moves in Wolf are just more rugged; like the song, and it fits. I think they are more impressive personally. The dancing is superb in Growl too though. :)

elfcloud
· Posted August 3, 2013 @ 6:50 pm

Exo "Growl" was just Amazing ... The music , the choreography, everything ..... I'm not a huge fan of exo ,but gosh this song is so addictive.

sunnydays
· Posted August 3, 2013 @ 3:46 pm

Is it just me or what because the comments are funnier than the actual article XD

sunnydays
· Posted August 3, 2013 @ 3:46 pm

-14

hannibalx
· Posted August 3, 2013 @ 2:26 pm

ew exo should get undebuted right now. they like the retarded step child of tvxq

sunnydays
· Posted August 3, 2013 @ 3:51 pm
It would be great if all the exotics came and just stared at you, and shook their heads in disappointment..
suzyuen
· Posted August 9, 2013 @ 12:40 pm
hey, those boys can't decide what they want to do. They can just do as instruction from the company. You may correct, the use of their success to replace TVXQ when both guys to be enlisted into army next year....... this is the tactic of SM always do.... it is the business world.....
hannibalx
· Posted August 9, 2013 @ 3:01 pm
@sunnydays why would i want to meet those fag boys? but i would bare with it just so you faggots cant meet them
hannibalx
· Posted August 9, 2013 @ 3:02 pm
@suzyuen its like comparing justin bieber with michael jackson. they will never live up to tvxq.