Movies

Lee Byung Hun asked the 'RED 2' director to change his character from Chinese to Korean

June 28, 2013 @ 12:33 pm
by jennywill
  • 0
  • 0
  • 73
  • 29413
  • 182
Lee Byung Hun revealed that he had personally requested his character in the Hollywood film 'RED 2' to be changed from Chinese to Korean.

In the original comic book series, Lee Byung Hun's character is Chinese. But since Lee Byung Hun would be playing the role, he asked the director to change the nationality to a Korean.

SEE ALSO: Bruce Willis sings the praises of his 'G.I. Joe 2' co-star, Lee Byung Hun

On June 28, 'RED 2' held their showcase and club party at the Seoul Sheraton Walker Hill Hotel, where he revealed, "Originally, my character is Chinese. But I asked the director if he could change my character to Korean if it didn't hurt the movie. I don't know if that's the reason my character's name is Han, but his name turned out to be Han."

He explained, "Han used to be an agent, just like Bruce Willis and John Malkovich. But because of Bruce Willis, he falls in a set up, and he becomes the most dangerous assassin in the world without wanting to. Although there's a lot of action, the genre of the movie itself is a comedy. You'll feel refreshed by the action, but please also enjoy the humor code in between. My role is serious and charismatic, but he'll also bring some laughs. He's a killer who's lacking the 2%."

The movie opens in theaters on July 19.

Image: Newsen

DON'T MISS

Comments

There are 73 comments

Sort by:

kylielavigne
· Posted July 5, 2013 @ 3:52 am

Lol ill definitely be watching this.

lulah4l
· Posted June 29, 2013 @ 6:08 pm

I'm really proud of him!! And I think it's great that he gets to play his actual nationality.

niamh13
· Posted June 29, 2013 @ 3:00 pm

A lot of people need to self-reflect in this comment section... the U.S. is a melting pot so yeah, we don't really care about specific nationalities. But imagine if you're a small peninsula surrounded by countries who have historically beaten the crap out of you, and are likely to get bombed to hell any day now, so badly that you need to have a conscript army.

As a Korean, you want your name/culture/language out there where everybody gives a damn whether you get blown off the face of the earth. That's what the Hallyu wave is about -- making people give a crap about the Korean culture and wanting to invest in it to see it grow. Lee Byung Hun gets that.

China already has Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, & Jet Li. Let Korea have a Korean action star people can recognize. And those of you who don't care where your Asian actors are from in movies, maybe you should start.

tracyx3
· Posted June 29, 2013 @ 2:51 am

If it doesn't make much of a difference to the movie, it shouldn't be too big of a deal. Though I don't see the point of changing it from Chinese to Korean. It's not like it matters all that much right?

kitty984
· Posted June 29, 2013 @ 12:44 am

To be honest I think it's about time a Korean actor actually plays a Korean character.

tracyx3
· Posted June 29, 2013 @ 2:50 am
Just watch K-dramas and Korean movies. lol :P
khara101
· Posted June 29, 2013 @ 10:40 am
I agree, its time.

krystalanne
· Posted June 28, 2013 @ 11:59 pm

Okay base on the comments some people find it rude (and as an insult) that he ask to be Korean rather than Chinese but really what does it matter?! Changing his nationality is like changing the name of the character where the story or plot isn't really going to be affected or else the director wouldn't have agree. I guess he just wanted to promote Korean in someway he can since this is a Hollywood movie it will be watch worldwide. And if you watch some teaser or cuts from the movie he did speak a bit in Hangul and Bruce Willis character even told him "Don't speak in Korean" so in some way he did promote Korean a bit and whether the viewers take interest is entirely up to them.

No matter what i will watch the movie since i normally like action movies that Bruce Willis is in and it also a bonus that Lee Byung Hun is going to be a part of it..

apocalyptichist
· Posted June 29, 2013 @ 2:12 pm
*Hangukeo(/한국어) is the language name in Korean. Hangul(/한글) is the name of the writing system :) I agree though it's like showing he is Korean and he is proud. I think it's a great thing! If a similar situation happened with me(such as I were playing a British character) I would ask to have the character changed to an American :)
-11

cuteemcdeck
· Posted June 28, 2013 @ 11:55 pm

Amazing actor. Amazing body. Handsome. But trash personality...

It just proves God is fair. We can't all be perfect.

ploya_h_i
· Posted June 28, 2013 @ 10:43 pm

Can't wait for the movie to come out  My two fav. actors in the same movie again ♥

BCSN24
· Posted June 28, 2013 @ 9:58 pm

They should have given the role to a Chinese actor. Problem solved.

It makes no sense when the comic is called Red.  That's Chinese...not Korean.

I could see of this was a original script, but its not...there is already a back story.

jenna90
· Posted June 28, 2013 @ 11:20 pm
RED means Retired but Extremely Dangerous nothing related to color red
apocalyptichist
· Posted June 29, 2013 @ 2:13 pm
Dude, if you're going by color you may as well say Russia. The actor and character can be Korean. It doesn't change the plot.
BCSN24
· Posted June 30, 2013 @ 12:56 am
@jenna90 You might want to read your history of why Red is Chinese. Has nothing to do with being retired. They just put that there, so it won't offend some people.
BCSN24
· Posted June 30, 2013 @ 12:58 am
@apocalyptichist You might want to read your history of why Red is Chinese. Has nothing to do with being retired. They just put that there, so it won't offend some people.
apocalyptichist
· Posted July 1, 2013 @ 10:57 am
@BCSN24 Dude I'm saying Russia as well because I know my history(and also my Indiana Jones movies). Make sure you know all your history before you start talking about mine.

pedropinilla
· Posted June 28, 2013 @ 9:57 pm

You know, I really liked Red and for the same I'm gonna watch this sequel as soon as I can and seeing that the original cast is back with more great actors for me is a must.

Now if this guy plays as a Korean or a Chinese, I don't really care but enjoy his performance.

kaosguy
· Posted June 28, 2013 @ 9:30 pm

I kind of see what both side are saying. its would be like if professor Xavier from the X-men who would have a full set of hair and can walk instead of in a wheelchair and would throw fire as his powers. people all around the world would be upset cuz, professor Xavier is suppose to be bald and in a wheelchair and has telekinesis as a power to follow the comic books/anime. but on the other hand it wouldn't matter if he was Scottish, English or European as long as he was white then it would be all good. (yes people that was an analogy) so as long as LBH character in Red 2 was ASIAN like in the comic books then it doesn't matter what nationality he is as long as he was ASIAN. well that is how I see it.

poppin09
· Posted June 28, 2013 @ 8:57 pm

can't wait to see

i'm gonna see this bcz of him

gurlsNbois
· Posted June 28, 2013 @ 7:32 pm

i thought it was cool that he asked, as a korean he wanted to do a korean role i mean their arent many 'asian' roles that are korean so if he had the opportunity why not. its not like hes against playing a Chinese or anything im sure if the director said no he wouldnt have dropped out of the movie. btw loved the first one it was a good action comedy and im looking forward to this one. :)

emily235
· Posted June 28, 2013 @ 6:52 pm

I'm going to have to see this. I love how the director let Lee Byung Hun play his actual nationality, especially if it doesn't matter much. He sort of had to play a Japanese person in G.I Joe, but this character is open to a bit of change.

jenniepn
· Posted June 28, 2013 @ 6:44 pm

hmm...

svoinpe
· Posted June 28, 2013 @ 5:54 pm

To those who don't understand the request, he wants to show that there's more Asian nationalities than Chinese and Japanese. It also might raise the profiles of Korean actors. He's not hating on the Chinese.

SICA.love
· Posted June 28, 2013 @ 5:51 pm
Its only insulting if you take it as an insult. Whats wrong with being Chinese? Nothing, so you shouldn't take it as an insult. If you're taking it as an insult then you obviously think theres something wrong.

jennywill
· Posted June 28, 2013 @ 5:35 pm

I just want to point out that it's not his first time doing this? His 'Storm Shadow' character in G.I. Joe is originally Japanese, not Korean-Japanese like it was featured in the movie. People are getting offended for some reason, but I think it's great. It may be my Korean-ness coming out or something, but for him to do this is great publicity for Korea, especially since when most people think "Asian", they think 'Chinese' or 'Japanese' and not 'Korean'. As I've said before, he's not being racist against Chinese people, but rather just trying to promote Korea.

emily235
· Posted June 28, 2013 @ 6:53 pm
Wow wait, when in the G.I. Joe movies does it say he's Korean-Japanese? I haven't seen the second one yet, is it in that?
jennywill
· Posted June 28, 2013 @ 8:53 pm
@emily235 it's in the first one. they speak korean in the past scene
emily235
· Posted June 29, 2013 @ 7:28 pm
@jennywill Huh, I never noticed before. I'm definitely going to have to rewatch it XD

alexshineelover
· Posted June 28, 2013 @ 5:23 pm

so what if he has to play a character of different nationality????.......i'm sorry...he is a great actor!!!! really.....but i found this to be kind of rude :/

SICA.love
· Posted June 28, 2013 @ 5:34 pm
LBH just asked him if he could do that, its not like he made a big deal out of it.
niamh13
· Posted June 29, 2013 @ 2:44 pm
He asked to play his own nationality, which isn't rude, especially given the Koreans have always been marginalized worldwide, as well as in their own region of the world. If he'd asked to change it to Japanese or something he isn't, THAT would be rude (and weird, lol).

pandapew
· Posted June 28, 2013 @ 4:58 pm

he is an actor ! isn't he supposed to play his part and shut up ?

so he has the nerves to ask for changes ? what's wrong with playing a chinese guy ? bad move !

Mary-Louise Parker ♥

BaNaNaZ
· Posted June 28, 2013 @ 5:26 pm
Big woop, he asked for a change of nationality. Comparable to changing your character name, it doesn't nuke the entire movie, and I am pretty sure people can care less about his nationality in his movie as sad as it is.
SICA.love
· Posted June 28, 2013 @ 5:40 pm
Don't actors request or mention ideas to directors and producers? Happens all the time. Seems like an innocent question/request, he specifically asked only if it didn't effect the movie. No harm there.
lulah4l
· Posted June 29, 2013 @ 6:17 pm
In what reality do actors just play their parts and shut up? As if they should be so grateful to even have a part they should just follow blindly? That is a really silly comment and it shows a clear lack of knowledge. Directors and writers are not the beginning and end of movies. Without the actors there would be no movie. So when an actor makes a small request that does not harm the film then there is nothing wrong with that. Do you think Mary-Louise Parker has never made a request to a director in a movie? It is something that requires team work and a hard work. And there is nothing wrong with wanted to promote or help educate the general public that being Asian does not always mean Chinese or Japanese.